Friday, April 24, 2009

To the States

Well I'm back in the States. I am actually at my friend, Kimberly Bronte's home. She picked me up from Dulles International Wednesday night at 10pm. The flights were fine and uneventful. I flew from Eldoret to Nairobi, had a six hour layover, flew Nairobi to London, had an 11 hour layover and then flew London to Dulles.

I had met this American guy in Eldoret who told me how he sometimes is able to fly first class out of Nairobi, so I decided to try it. As I was checking in, I asked the guy (And it obviously works better if you have someone of the opposite sex... I have NO idea why that is) anyhow, I asked him if they were still running the $100 upgrade to First class special. He said he didn't know but would check and let me know later. About an hour later, he approached me in the terminal and said it was $150 for the upgrade. I let him know how much I appreciated him checking, but I only had $100. He came back an hour later and said he had worked really really hard with his supervisor and had been able to get it down to $100. Yes, folks, I was able to fly first class on that 8 hour flight for $100. So, try it - although I would guess it may only really be effective in blatantly corrupt countries.


(Side note: try NOT to get a seat by a 70 year old drunkard who won't shut up... and then falls asleep in his food - okay - that ALMOST made up from him repeating his stories over and over and...)

I arrived in London to beautiful sunshine at 6am. I was able to check my carry-on and take the Tube into London. It was an absolutely gorgeous, sunshiney day. I chose not to go into any of the sights, but definitely enjoyed viewing them. They are some of my favorite places to see - First stop: St. Paul's Cathedral. Built three times on the same spot, this is the one Christopher Wren built after the fire of London in 1666.


Then a 25 minute walk to the Tower of London and the TOWER BRIDGE! I LOVE this bridge. This and Big Ben are my absolute two favorite things to look at in London. They make my Top Ten beautiful pieces of architecture list in the World ( I don't know what the other 8 are off the top of my head, but these TWO are DEFINITELY on the list)


The Bridge


Me at the Bridge.


Oh! Wait! there I am!


Tower of London - SERIOUSLY bad things went on here - lots of death and whatnot.


Although it certainly looks peaceful now.


Oh! There's ME!


Big Ben... I love my friend, Big Ben.


One of the things that I really enjoyed about being in London was that I could ask someone something, and they would give me directions or helpful information and not expect me to pay them... this was a refreshing change from the past seven weeks. I use my cell phone as my watch in the States, so I have been seriously lacking in time knowledge the past two months. So, I was wondering what time it was and asked the nice police man the time, right as Big Ben (30 yards away from me) clanged 10:15. I stopped asking so many questions after that.

Walked through Hyde Park to Kensington Park and fed the ducks, pigeons and the swan.


There was not ONE bird in sight when I sat down.


Made a daisy chain.


Wore my daisy chain.



Went back to the airport.

3 comments:

  1. welcome home! glad you had such a great layover in london. sunshiny??? england??? you are one blessed girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwww a daisy chain. I love the self-portraits. ;-)

    Now, the story about asking a policeman the time just as Big Ben chimes... I LOVE THAT! I ask the traffic cops, each day, "which way to Sag Harbor?" (or whatever town I'm actually in at the moment). Do you think they get the humor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you only paid 100 bucks to upgrade to first class. Unbelievable! And I love the self-portraits!

    ReplyDelete