Saturday, March 28, 2009

Doing the Dishes at Our House

Life here is great. We have hot water in the shower!!! Woo hoo!! But we don't have hot water anywhere else, so doing the dishes is a bit more effort than back home. I thought I would like to share the process with you. Of course, we have a maid who does our dishes Monday - Friday during the day, but we still have to do them every night AND on the weekends - I know, feel sorry for us...

So, here's how it works:

First we have two bowls. One for the soapy water and one for rinsing.


Then we heat the water up in our electric kettle.


Then we pour the water into our "wash bowl",


and mix it with cold water so we can put our hands in.


Also, we have really nice dish soap called Axiom - it's Grapefruit scented - but isn't nice and strong like what we have in the States - also is NOT really a grease cutter like at home... Meaning, sometimes we wash things twice... or say "what the heck! TIA (this is Africa!)
And here's where we rinse and drain.



Come on over! The great news is if you COOK, you don't have to wash, so bring some of your favorite recipes and we'll see you at the airport!

6 comments:

  1. This is the way most people did dishes here in the U.S. 50-60 years ago. We had running hot water, but this is still the method we used. Didn't waste so much water. Wouldn't hurt us to go back to this again. Everyone had a dish drainer!!!! If I came I'd leave the cooking to you all and I'd do all the dishes. I'm more of a cleaner than a cook. The Body of Christ, we are all different parts :o)
    Susan

    P.S. I may post about this on our Frugal Blog Hands and Hearts for HIM. Would that be okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, you are absolutely welcome to post this on Frugal Hands and Hearts. And I bet it really DOES save water. Come on over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of my camping days. It was fun for a week or so, but I'm very thankful for a dishwasher.

    You sound like you are doing well and like there is a spirit of joy in your heart. I pray that's a fact! Love to you my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It reminds me of how I had to wash dishes when we lived in NJ. You missed all those water issues! Oh... and we had no water pressure either! Maybe God was training me for Africa. (hah--training me to wash dishes, as if I don't already know how). <--don't worry... that comment has more to do with being annoyed about last night's dishes than anything esle in this comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! This story reminds me of my first apartment as a newlywed - I heated our water to wash dishes in a pot on the stove :)

    ReplyDelete